Sunday, June 20, 2010

Phase 2..out + about...

Saturday i decided to pop (a 3 hour stop) into the Craft + quilt fair.. It's coming next to Hobart in July.
I'm not a quilter. BUT I do like to make things. I like to see other people soooo excited to be hunting down new supplies, new techniques, new creative friends. I'd like to be a quilter. I'd like to make things bigger than a4 (US Letter/foolscap).. I'd like to retire early. Anyway.. meanwhile i had a lovely time weaving in and out of the aisles.. It was great to see the usual and expected BUT also the new favs.. Kelanifabric had a great display - check out their site for a cool collection of Aussie kits, including Kristen Doran's Bunny pattern seen above.

It was great to see people: watching, taking part in workshops, stocking up.. I had a chat to Julie from the Quilters Barn, she had beautiful fabrics - from cottons with a 1940's feel to linens that looked like washed out teatowels. I had to sulk away after she told me how much she gets to travel to Japan + France... :( she does do tours though.. (i think she said they were updating their website).
One of my best discoveries was..
Room for Threads, where i purchased this little collection.. those little vessels are silk worm cocoons.. uh huh.
so what do you do with them? Well if you are a talented fibre + textile artist probably quite a lot. However.. this is what my playtime today produced..

then i added a bit more..
Here's the closeup..
Who needs bling, when you can have fibre + threads....?
Oh, so THEN i had to purchase some fabric too...
The top row, apart from the brown piece are cuddly wuddly flannelette! I'm pretty sure they were from Post Office Patchwork. I couldn't wait to make a vintage looking something or other... I was surrounded by people who needed to buy many squares.. I did offer myself up for adoption as one woman declared that HER daughter didn't NEED another quilt! So after the fibre play i made this..

Needless to say the sunlight had disappeared (hence lighting in shot) the floor needed vacuuming, the fridge had broccoli + carrots, the day had gone.
BUT I had a fantastic time - voices of discontent? what voices?

2 comments:

Tania said...

WHo needs bling indeedy! Am utterly impressed with that fibre art stuff you and the silk worms have happening...

Shireen said...

Love your cocoon necklace. There was a craze for keeping silkworms as pets in my primary school days. If only we had thought to dye the cocoons and sell them as craft supplies. I like the blog renovations, your lovely photos look so much bigger.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails